’46 Victor Whitacre, MD, 91, died Oct.
1, 2015. After completing his medical
degree at Ohio State, Victor interned
at Washington Hospital in Washington,
Pennsylvania, and went on to join the
Army. He practiced general medicine
for most of his career and continued
as company doctor. He was a team
physician for 55 years and was
recognized an Outstanding Team
Physician by the Ohio State Medical
Association, the Ohio State Trainers
Association and the Ohio Athletic
Beitzel, MD, 91,
died Dec. 4, 2015,
in Troy, Ohio.
in the U.S. Army
during WWII, after
which he completed
an internship in
Youngstown. When hostilities began in
Korea, he served as a medical officer
stationed in San Juan, Puerto Rico. In
1956, Dr. Beitzel began a private practice
in Paris, Illinois. In 1962, he returned to
Ohio, opening his office in Oakwood
where it remained until his retirement.
’47 Timothy Caris,
MD, 92, died
Nov. 9, 2015, in
San Antonio. He
State, where he
into the Army
Program. Tim retired in 1970 from the
Air Force at the rank of Colonel and
joined the University of Texas Medical
School at San Antonio. When he retired
in 1986, he was professor of Medicine
and acting dean of the medical school.
‘61 Garth Essig Sr., MD, died
Wednesday, April 13. Dr. Essig was
a Department of Obstetrics and
Gynecology faculty member for
more than 44 years and was named
Emeritus Faculty upon his retirement
Dr. Essig began his career with Ohio
State in 1957, when he enrolled in our College of Medicine.
After receiving his medical degree in 1961 and completing
an internship at Springfield City Hospital, he accepted a
commission in the uniformed service of the U.S. Public
Health Service’s Division of Indian Health at Choctaw
Hospital in Philadelphia, Miss. Dr. Essig then completed
a four-year obstetrics and gynecology residency at Ohio
State. He was concurrently an American Cancer Society
fellow during the fourth year, which led to an additional
one-year cancer fellowship through the National Institutes
of Health, also served at Ohio State.
Since 1968, when he joined Ohio State’s faculty, Dr. Essig
served under the chairmanships of Dr. John Ullery, Dr.
Frederick Zuspan, Dr. Steven Gabbe, Dr. Larry Copeland
and Dr. Mark Landon. He held a number of positions,
including Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
acting chair (1973-1974), Medical Information Management
Committee chair (1989-2005), Pharmacy and Therapeutics
Committee chair, University Hospital chief-of-staff (2003-
2005), OSU Wexner Medical Center Board of Trustees
member and Wexner Medical Center Executive Committee
An elected fellow of the American College of Obstetricians
and Gynecologists, Dr. Essig received The Ohio State
University College of Medicine Alumni Achievement Award
in 2002. He delivered nearly 10,000 babies over his 44
years in the profession.
Dr. Essig was a beloved mentor to our medical students,
playing a role in their education his entire career. He
was assistant professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
from 1971-1976, associate professor of Obstetrics and
Gynecology from 1976-2012 and Department of Obstetrics
and Gynecology student clerkship director from 1970-
2012. He was named Professor of the Year in 1973,
and over the years was honored with the Senior Class
Teaching Award and the Excellence in Teaching Award
several times (classes of 1981, 1982, 1985, 1988 and
2007). He was named the College of Medicine and Public
Health’s Distinguished Educator in 2003. And in 2012, Dr.
Essig received a Faculty Teaching Award from the Medical
Alumni Society. It is estimated that Dr. Essig mentored
nearly 9,000 students throughout his career.
Ever the educator, Dr. Essig presented his final lecture to
his medical students in February, discussing what it was
like to be a physician with a terminal diagnosis.